Thursday, March 6, 2014

Collecting


According to Wikipedia,” the hobby of collecting includes seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining whatever items are of interest to the individual collector. The scope of collecting is unlimited: "If something exists, somebody somewhere collects them."”

I used to be an avid collector of salt and pepper shakers, inspired by my great grandma’s crystal cabinet which sat in the “good room”, filled with all sorts of trinkets and knick knacks.  As a child I was never allowed to open the sliding glass door and touch the precious items inside, but I never forgot that little porcelain salt and pepper donkey with barrels on his back, and he now lives in my crystal cabinet, looking out at my children as they wish they could get their hands on him!
 
I also collected beaded bags for a while and still have some truly lovely ones in the bottom of my cabinet.  I use some for special occasions but the really ornate ones stay safely behind closed doors, free from lipstick stains and dirty tissues!
 
Most recently I came across some fantastic retro knitting books with the most hilarious photos and blurbs.  I didn’t really set out to “collect’ them but I have quite a few now and they always bring a smile to my face! 

 

Of course, many of the wonderful items in my collections have been scored in op shops – some right bargains and some hard won when the other half queried with a frown, “Haven’t you got enough of those?!”

What do you collect and why?  Have you been doing it since childhood or did you start late in life?  Do you display your collectibles or use them in your everyday life?

 

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, Very interesting! I collect those old anodised coloured cups that came in leather pouches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect salt and pepper shakers because of getting a set from my great grandmother and I my Nan has China cabinets that I still open and gently look through and hope to be able to emulate. And aprons, and my little ponies and many other things hahaha. I like kitsch things and fancy things but my rule is that I should try and have things out and if they are usable then use them. Which means my house is very full and for the first time I am thinking of investing in my own glass cabinet.So many beautiful things in the op shops of the world that I don't feel too precious anymore coz I know I know I can always find another treasure. I started collecting because of the women in my family being collectors but I have also had to sell most of my possessions several times in my life due to family circumstances. I became good at re accumulating :)

    ReplyDelete